Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pin 1: Tinfoil = Curly Hair?






I have to be honest here. I have naturally thick, wavy, long, naturally a little curly, dark, hair. One morning my old roommate jokingly told me she hated me because I woke up looking like my un-brushed, straight out of bed, hair was ready for the fashion runway.  I attempted this pin because I wanted to have my hair be more curly and have a more professional look.




My pinsuit:


Okay, so this is my normal hair.  As you can tell, normally wavy and a little curly at the ends.Step one: 
Cut tinfoil into squares. These are the sizes I used. Some users say they used 5 inch by 5 inch, some say 3 inch by 5 inch.  As you can tell, not all of my squares were the same size. In retrospect, I wish I would have made the tinfoil squares much larger. My hair is thick, and some of the foil did not want to stay (as you will soon see). 
Step two: 
Use product in your hair. Some pinners suggested hairspray, others suggested gel. I used this.Step three:   












Two finger curl method. This method was described as creating bigger, beachy, waves. 

Step four:













The first foil.  












I also tried the one finger method, which supposedly would produce tighter curls.













My hair turned out to be a little too thick for my tinfoil squares, I attempted a twisting the hair method. It held the foil much better, however, the parts I twisted ended up having a dreadlock feel. At this point I also decided to start pressing the curls right after I foiled them. It helped keep the foil in.











Here is how my curls looked in the foil. I added extra foil pieces to parts falling out. In the original pin you wrap it around the curl and then fold it up. I forgot this step and folded it without wrapping it around the hair. I think had I wrapped it around the end of the hair it would have stayed better.


Step Five:


 I was a little bored of the foil pressing part. Also, the foil gets very hot.
Step six:  

 
After letting the foil cool, take it  out with your head down and add more hairspray. 


The final result.


I pulled apart some of the curls, the ones that felt a little like dreadlocks and ended up with this style for today.  Here is how my hair looks about an hour later, while I am currently typing this. I think my hair vaguely looks like like Russell Brand's hair, so there's that. 
Success or failure? I haven't decided yet. Pros: The pin definitely did what it said it would. It definitely looks way better than my attempt at using curlers (My bangs always shoot out like a lopsided unicorn horn), and I now have a use for my hair straightener. (My hair looks ABSOLUTELY dreadful straightened.) Cons: This took me almost two hours, my curling iron takes me about 15 - 30 minutes. The tin toil burned the side of my face--no mark or anything just painful. We will see how long the curls last but I will be using this pin again in the future. I'd be interested to try this on my sister or a friend with very straight hair. Perhaps that will be a future post. 
Until my next pinsuit,Danielle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment